PPS (Polyphenylene Sulfide)
PPS is a high temperature semi-crystalline material. It has good mechanical properties and excellent chemical resistance at elevated temperatures. PPS has been compounded extensively and many different types of properties are available. PTFE filled PPS is one of the best bearing materials available. Unfilled grades of PPS have poor properties, so components are usually made from glass filled or glass/mineral filled grades. PPS is very sensitive to molding conditions and must be processed properly to achieve its maximum potential.
Applications: Hydraulic components, bearings, cams, valves and electronic parts
|Tensile Strength||Flexural Modulus||Impact Strength||Max Temp.||Chemical Resistance|
|14,000-28,000 psi||550,000 -2,900,000 psi||.5-6 ft-lb/in notched izod||450°-500° F||Good to Excellent|
- Capable of extended usage at 450° F
- Good radiation resistance
- Good solvent and chemical resistance
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Flame retardant
- Low water absorption
- Difficult to process (high melt temps)
- High cost
- Fillers required to obtain good impact strength
- Attacked by chlorinated hydrocarbons
Brand Names: Fortron, Lubricomp, Ryton, Supec.