PC – Polycarbonate
Polycarbonate is an amorphous material with excellent impact strength, clarity, and optical properties. It is very widely used and a wide variety of compounds are available. Polycarbonate has excellent mechanical properties, and can be molded to tight tolerances. It is attacked by solvents and petrochemicals, and its weatherability is only adequate.
Applications: Automotive Headlights, Business Machines, Consumer Products, Telecommunications, Medical Products and Mechanical Goods.
|Tensile Strength||Flexural Modulus||Impact Strength||Max Temp.||Chemical Resistance|
|9000-23,000 psi||340,000-1,400,000 psi||2-18 ft-lb/in notched izod||150°-300° F||Poor to Fair|
- High impact resistance
- Good flammability performance
- Dimensional stability
- Chemical resistance (PC blends)
- Only fair solvent resistance
- Subject to stress cracking
- Degrades if not processed correctly
- High processing temperature
- Yellowing after long term exposure to UV light
Brand Names: Lexan, Calibre, Makrolon.