Acetal polymers are semi-crystalline. They offer excellent inherent lubricity, fatigue resistance, and chemical resistance. Acetals suffer from outgassing problems at elevated temperatures, and are brittle at low temperatures. Glass filled, and added lubrication grades are available, flame retardant grades are not.
Applications: Mechanical Automotive, Business Machine and Household Appliance, Components i.e. Slides, Gears, Cams, Bushings, Door Handles and Seat Belt Parts.
||.8-2 ft-lb/in notched izod
- High tensile strength with rigidity and toughness
- Good impact and solvent resistance
- Glossy molded surface
- Low static and dynamic coefficients of friction (slippery)
- Many grades have FDA and NSF approvals on food and water contact
- Replace die–cast metal components
- Difficult to bond bond
- Poor resistance to acid and bases
- Subject to UV degradation
Brand Names: Celcon, Delrin