PET – Polyethylene Terepthalate
PET polyesters are semi-crystalline. They are versatile materials with a good range of properties. They have excellent electrical properties and are abrasion resistant. PET has not been as extensively compounded as PBT because it is more difficult to process. PET has a higher modulus than PBT. Like PBT, PET is very anisotropic in shrink, therefore it is difficult to mold to extremely close tolerances.
Applications: Reusable bottles, Pacifiers, Sippy cups, Bottle sterilizer lids, Medical devices, Housewares.
|Tensile Strength||Flexural Modulus||Impact Strength||Max Temp.||Chemical Resistance|
|7,000-23,000 psi||350,000-3,000,000 psi||.45-8 ft-lb/in notched izod||250°-420° F||Fair to Good|
- High temperature resistance
- Some grades FDA approved
- Excellent toughness
- Excellent clarity
- Easy processing
- Highly susceptible to degradation when heated above 150°C in the presence of moisture
- Cannot be exposed to elevated temperatures
- Must be thoroughly dried prior to processing
- High processing temps required
Brand Names: HiFill, LNP Stat-Kon Valox, Petra.