PPA – Polyphthalamide
PPA is a relatively new, semi-crystalline material, with an excellent cost to performance ratio. PPA bridges the performance gap between nylons/polyesters, and higher priced, high temperature materials such as PEI and PEEK. PPA has excellent impact strength and is not notch sensitive. PPA does absorb moisture, and its properties change as a result. This change is not nearly as great as 6-6 nylon. Despite its relatively recent introduction, good design data is available for PPA.
Applications: Automotive applications, Housing for high temperature electrical connectors, Multiple other uses as a replacement to metals.
||270,000 -2,700,000 psi
||.6-22 ft-lb/in notched izod
||Good to Excellent
- Heat resistance
- Chemical resistance
- Can resist infrared soldering environments
- Relatively low moisture absorption
- Strength or physical properties
- Not inherently flame retardant
- Requires good drying equipment
- High processing temperatures
Brand Names: Amodel, Verton, Grivory, Zytel.